Over the past four years as Mayor, Michael Hancock has worked tirelessly to keep moving Denver forward. Michael grew up in Denver’s neighborhoods, and like you, he loves this place and wants to improve this amazing city of ours. That’s why he has:
- Created more opportunities for Denver’s children by providing free access to city recreation centers, pools, libraries and cultural institutions through the MY Denver Card, by expanding the Denver Preschool Program and by investing in before-, after- and summer-school programs.
- Helped strengthen Denver’s economy. Bringing in thousands of new jobs and hundreds of new businesses, Denver now has one the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, is a hub of innovation, and is one of the best places to find a job and start a business.
- Better connected Denver to the metro region with major projects such as Union Station, new light rail stations and transit-focused developments, while also improving Denver’s connectivity to the world with new nonstop flights to Asia, Europe, and Central and South America.
- Kept Denver one of the safest big cities in America by hiring more police officers and firefighters and implementing reforms in the Police Department which have lowered crime rates, reduced response times and increased officer productivity.
- Made city government work at the speed of you by eliminating the city’s budget deficit, restoring services such as park maintenance and street paving that were cut during the recession, providing access to more services online and on mobile devices, and by implementing the nationally recognized Peak Performance initiative to improve efficiencies, reduce wait times and save millions of taxpayer dollars.